Monday, October 6, 2008

I found internet

I've now found internet access in the main town here, owned by a fella I met on the ferry who said he will take me through the mountains to the less populated north of the island when he heads up there next. The phone bill hasn't been paid for a while (again) where I am staying, so no internet there for a while. We are spending our days hacking back bushes (mostly lantana) to make the area more visible. We do this for a few hours in the morning till it gets too hot and later in the afternoon. We sometimes stop for a break under our coconut trees, drinking from fresh coconuts off these trees- always very refreshing. The weather has now got hotter, with less rain, so I am going swimming and snorkelling much more- and theres a lot more fish to see. Every afternoon now it gets humid and we hear lots of thunder from around us, but it only rains every few nights. My birthday coincided with the end of Ramadan- Idul Fitri, which is two days of eating, drinking and catching up with friends and family, much like Christmas. Often the Christians participate because its an excuse to gather. We had such a gathering where I live, and the majority of those who came through were "Christians". Time to catch a bus. David

No comments:

Post a Comment