Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cooking: Whole Wheat Cheddar Crackers

Today Asher and I made whole wheat cheddar crackers. They were easy! For Asher, it was like playing with play doh.

Here is the recipe we used, but I edited the recipe (at end of post):
http://weelicious.com/2012/01/10/whole-wheat-cheddar-crackers/


We treated the dough like playdoh and a rolling pin and cookie cutters (we have a box of 100+, so I chose a circle, star and car.


Asher helped cut out and put the shapes on the two cookie sheets. He is standing on a chair where the kitchen counter makes a corner. When we were finished I subtly re-spaced the crackers as I wasn't sure how much they would expand! (Not very much)

 Asher was really excited about making these. I had to stop him from dancing on the chair!

They turned out really well. Next time I will cook them for a shorter duration, but I got distracted (toddler!) and left them in too long.

Here is my version of the recipe (from http://weelicious.com/2012/01/10/whole-wheat-cheddar-crackers/). Things I changed are marked with an asterisk*, you can see the original in the link above.

Whole Wheat Cheddar Crackers from Weelicious

  • Prep Time:5 minutes,
  • Cook Time: 15 minutes,
  • Total Time: 20 minutes,

Ingredients

  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (I used Colby jack)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon spike salt-free seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash Table Blend)
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted*

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 400 F. 
  2. Mix all ingredients.*
  3. Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick on a floured or parchment-covered surface. Slice into crackers or cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.
  4. Bake for 15-17 minutes.(Probably closer to 14-15 with my oven)
  5. Serve.
They turned out really well. (The original recipe called for cubed butter and mixed in a food processor, but I wanted Asher to participate in the process!)

No comments:

Post a Comment