Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Big Bellies and Kids

Now that I look pregnant, and not merely pudgy, my students say the most interesting things. It seems to be the boys that ask the odd questions, the girls seem to be content with the idea. So, here's a few gems...
 
Conversation 1:
Boy: Do you have a baby in your tummy?
Me: Yes, but the baby won't be here until you are in year 1. (My usual answer)
Boy: Is it in your tummy right now?
Me: (Thinking, uh oh...). Yes...
Boy: Is it in your tummy when your tummy's big?
Me: Yes, when my tummy's big there is a baby in there... but not all ladies with big tummies have babies in there.
Boy: Oh (long pause). Are they just fat, then?
Me: Umm, yes, but we don't tell them that. It may hurt their feelings.
Boy: Okay. (Wanders off).
You have to love 5 year old bluntness. They tell it like it is.
 

Conversation 2:

Boy (a different one): Can I meet the baby?
Me: Yes, but when you're in year 1.
Boy: Did the doctor help the baby get in your tummy?
Me: A doctor kind of helped... go play.
I justified the doctor comment because Dave is a doctor. And I wasn't sure if this boy's parents did need medical intervention to get pregnant.
 

Conversation 3:

Boy (showing me the underside of a toy kangaroo, where the 'bits' are): Where does it come from?
Me: (Ummm...) What do you mean?
Boy: The words- where was it made?
Me (I read): "Made in China"
I hope this student doesn't think kangaroos come from China!

5 comments:

  1. lol I am sure there is more to come. Out of the mouths of babes is so precious. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, you could so write a book on what kids have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so cute. Keep them coming. Also keep a journal for your baby of the things they say and do. Wish I had thought to do that while mine were growing up. Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete