Friday, February 17, 2012

Recipe- Weetbix and Date Slice

Weetbix and Date Slice

Ingredients

90g butter, at room temperature
4 Weet-Bix, crushed
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup caster sugar (I used 1/4 cup of raw sugar)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup boiling water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup self-raising flour
1 / 2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Icing sugar, for dusting

Method

1. Grease an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan. Line base and two long sides with baking paper.

2. Cut butter into small cubes. Place in a large bowl with Weet-Bix, dates, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and water. Mix ingredients until thoroughly combined. Allow to cool.

3. Stir in egg, flour and walnuts. Mix well. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top with a knife.

4. Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 30 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Cool slice in pan.

5. Lift slice out of pan. Cut into rectangles. Serve dusted with sifted icing sugar.

My Notes: I doubled the recipe and quartered or eightthed (?) the sugar. So on one quantity I put in one-eighth of a cup of sugar, and on a double batch I use one-fourth.

No comments:

Post a Comment