Saturday, January 26, 2013

Australia Day, ANZAC biscuits

Happy Australia Day!

I've celebrated by making two batches of ANZAC biscuits- the first batch failed miserably, so I tried a different recipe. Anzac biscuits are usually made on Anzac (Veteran's) day, but I like the recipe and figured it was definitely Australian enough for Australia day!




 The brief history: Anzac biscuits first appeared in WWI as an egg-free biscuit to ship to Australian soldiers. The navy ships that transported the biscuits took a couple of months to get there so the biscuits had to last!

The term Anzac is legally protected except for in the use of Anzac biscuits, but only if the biscuits adhere closely to the original recipe and are never referred to as 'cookies.'

My first attempt at Anzac biscuits here in the US, using my tried and true recipe, failed miserably. I didn't account for the runny-ness of my golden syrup substitute (dark cane syrup) and I possibly left out a cup of flour. Oops. Here is what they looked like-



They would make great hockey pucks if only they were a bit thicker! The second batch, using a Martha Stewart recipe, turned out better. I chanced upon her recipe looking for one that had more dry ingredients to make up for the runny cane syrup. During the step where I add the baking soda to the boiling water and then to the syrup/butter mix, it hardly fizzed at all. I wonder why? And in the end I added a bit of water because my mix was so dry. But my second batch was much better!


History of Anzac Biscuits

Martha Stewart's Anzac Biscuit Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment