Saturday, March 19, 2011

His ear is imprinted on my arm...


These last few days Asher has been a bit clingy. He seems to have hit a patch of refluxing... refluxation... something. Sir Spews-a-lot. Mister Cries-more-than-usual. Consequently, he's uncomfortable, and wants cuddles. I haven't gotten much done in the last few days beyond comforting, patting, burping, feeding, and the like. According to the books, he's still too young to be 'spoiled'- he's still developing his trust and attachments.

This morning, for example, he's been in my arms all but about an hour when I put him down for a nap and he woke up crying. He feeds, falls asleep for a bit, wakes up enough for a quick 'snack' to make sure everything is still there, then drifts back of to sleep. Or he wakes up whimpering, spews, gets cuddled, and drifts back off.

Those of attachment-parenting theory would say that, in many (most?) countries around the world, babies are carried close to their mums and don't feed at certain times or sleep alone. When I see how much more comforted Asher is when he wakes up crying in my arms (as opposed to his bassinet), or when I see how much more easily and deeply he sleeps when his bassinet is beside the bed... I wonder if they have a point.

So, now Asher's ear is imprinted on my arm where he's been laying on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment