Asher and I flew to Perth this week so I could take my citizenship test (I passed, by the way, but am not yet a citizen, more on that later).
I caught the last flight out of Exmouth before the cyclone hit. It was very crowded, and the flight attendants were quite busy as their computers were having trouble and they needed to manually check in many passengers. The man in the seat next to me, an Austrian going home from the oil rigs, was going to visit his 6 month old grandson in Sydney. He was very kind and held Asher for me while I stuffed my bags in their appropriate places. Since it was a small airline, and a short flight, I had to hold him the whole way as I didn't pay for a seat for him (just 2 hours though).
Much of time in Perth was spent shopping for Asher- buying clothes for the rest of the year as there isn't anyplace to buy children's clothes in Exmouth. I was very grateful Dave's dad, Ian, was able to come with me and help push the pram or shopping trolley. Too much shopping! Thursday I sat the citizenship test.
45 minutes was allocated to take the test, I whizzed through it in about three minutes (my hidden talent: speed reading). I only missed one question, but I don't know which one it was! Next they will mail me a letter saying I passed and my application was approved, then they will invite me to a citizenship ceremony. After I attend the citizenship ceremony I will be a citizen.
The US doesn't encourage dual citizenship, but doesn't prevent it. Asher is an Australian citizen but I am working on getting his American citizenship, too.
The flight back to Exmouth was much easier- less crowded, I had an empty seat next to me, the flight attendants were helpful. Asher didn't cry on the flight to Perth and on the flight home he just cried a few times. People said they were surprised there was a baby on the plane! Yay for Asher!
No comments:
Post a Comment